Endothelial nitric oxide synthase in red blood cells: Key to a new erythrocrine function?
- We define erythrocrine function the ability of RBC to secret signaling entities or transmitter molecules.
- Erythrocrine function include scavenging, transporting and producing NO metabolites and ATP.
- There is in vitro and in vivo evidence of a role of red cell eNOS in signaling and erythrocrine function.
- Red cell eNOS and erythrocrine function might be involved in organ protection.
- Further studies should address the role of red cell eNOS/RBC signaling in cardiovascular health.